The civil engineering bachelor study programme “Building Services Engineering” is designed for people with at least secondary education, willing to have good understanding of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, water supply and effluent discharge, gas and electrical systems and devices installed in modern construction works, possibilities for integration of new systems into present systems, renewable energy sources and possibilities of their use, understanding their principles of operation and control, installation and operation, possible ways of saving energy and system optimization, their effect on people and the environment, as well as those seeking to gain the bachelor qualification degree of Building Services Engineering programme of Civil Engineering study field.Entry requirements
Building engineering system students gain knowledge of drawing (CAD) and modelling (BIM) software, as well as software application opportunities when developing advanced engineering systems.
Such knowledge is essential for building engineering system specialists in effective performance of day-to-day functions.
Knowledge gained by the graduates is multidisciplinary; therefore, a professional career path may be chosen from all parts of building engineering systems. Also, the transition from one speciality to another is smooth (e.g. from a water pipeline designer to a building energy efficiency inspector).
Having graduated from the university, the graduates are able to work in many Lithuanian enterprises, such as AB “Kauno Energija”, UAB “Caverion Lietuva”, UAB “Vitaterma”, UAB “Enso Projects”, UAB “Terma”, UAB “Veda”, UAB “Rusnė”, as well as in foreign companies, for instance, “ENER-G Controls” (Great Britain).
This programme is taught by specialists with both practical and scientific experience. Excellent knowledge in the field helps to provide students with the most essential theoretical and practical knowledge and skills and achieve great results.
To maintain innovative laboratories, active cooperation with the companies which contribute to installing the state-of-art technology is taking place. Students become familiar with advanced engineering systems and their manufacturers.
|Design of building engineering systems||Analysis of building energy needs and heat generation||Harmonised operation and management of engineering systems||Work planning and teamwork skills and competences|
A student who chooses BA+ competence, acquires the knowledge and skills in an additional study field, and discovers new career prospects.
BA+ competence blocks offered in KTU Bachelor’s study programmes can be an alternative study plan for:
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the diploma supplement.
UAB “Terma” team has several graduates from KTU Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture who have graduated from the Bachelor’s study programme Building Engineering Systems. I can only enjoy their unabated enthusiasm and their will to improve. Knowledge that was acquired during the studies was applied when dealing with the work-related issues “here and now”. Having started with simple design tasks, now they are taking up more and more complicated objects to work on.
When still at university, I had a chance to become a project manager’s assistant and I used to work from home after my lectures. I enjoy this profession and the fact that I can work outside the company as well. Due to my life circumstances I used to travel a lot, I worked as a designer in Thailand, the USA (state of Colorado), Turkey, Morocco, and England. I used to communicate with various customers, present projects in the meetings and take part in their development.
Having gained some practical experience, I decided to establish a company and develop my own business.
When I was choosing this speciality, I didn’t even dream of living as I am living now.
– Knowledge, collection and assessment of information about strength of materials, fluid mechanics, microclimate in buildings, engineering systems of buildings, technologies of renewable resources;
– Knowledge of requirements for design, installation and operation of the engineering systems of buildings (heating, ventilation and air conditioning, water supply, sewage disposal and gas supply systems);
– Management of computer modelling technologies (CAD and BIM);
– Knowledge of interdisciplinary context of engineering systems in buildings and links between construction engineering and other fields of science.
– Able to plan and perform analytical, modelling and experimental research of buildings’ microclimate, hydraulics and aerodynamics, to process, assess and interpret the obtained results;
– Able to design, install and operate buildings’ heating, ventilation and air conditioning, water supply, sewage disposal and gas supply systems with regards to construction law, safety, social, sanitary, environmental, energy efficiency and economic aspects;
– Able to solve engineering tasks in the area of construction engineering individually and in team applying modern computer modelling methods (BIM).
– Preparation of the buildings’ engineering systems according to the normative documents;
– Communication with customers and designers of other parts of the building (structures, electricity networks, etc.) and managers of construction works;
– Establishment of the amounts of buildings’ heating, air, water, gas and sewage, performance of aerodynamic and hydraulic calculations;
– Selection of devices, equipment and materials, and calculation of their amount;
– Preparation of project documentation;
– Preparation of drawings using CAD or BIM software.
– Organisation, coordination of the installation works of the building’s engineering systems, constant control from the beginning of construction and the end of construction in accordance with the project of engineering systems and normative documents;
– Analysis of the projects of the building’s engineering systems;
– Communication with designers and managers of construction works of the other parts of the building;
– Organisation of testing works of the building’s engineering systems;
– Preparation of the required construction documentation of the building.
– Representation of the builder (customer) according to the normative documents;
– Quality inspection of the performed installation of engineering systems;
– Participation in the testing of the installed building’s engineering systems;
– Preparation of the required documentation for completion of construction of the building.
– Constant and periodical inspection of the building’s engineering systems, assessment of its condition, identification of defects and malfunctions, and troubleshooting;
– Organisation of periodical inspections;
– Introduction of solutions for energy efficiency;
– Preparation of mandatory technical documentation.