Labour market surveys emphasize that specialists with knowledge of high technologies, creation and application of various materials, and practical skills, will dominate in the list of most promising future specialities. BSc in Materials and Nanotechnologies analyse the ways various materials are created and applied in industry and contemporary high (micro-, nano-) technologies, how characteristics of materials are researched, evaluated and changed. Acquiring knowledge of material composition, physics and chemistry, the graduates are able to select suitable materials or production technologies, and to find solutions for various engineering and technical issues.
The programme offers specialisations in
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 4 y., Part-time studies - 6 y.|
|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Technological Sciences|
KTU takes an active role in leading international organisations: Inter-Academia, Federation of European Materials Society, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials, etc.
Visiting professors from Shizuoka University, Stanford University, Tokyo Institute of Technology organise international seminars and workshops to be in touch with global scientific problems.
Deepening knowledge within specialisation of Biomaterials or Functional Materials.
|Acquire understanding of fundamentals of the materials and their technologies||Nanotechnologies and functional materials||Biomaterials and technologies||Performance of experiments and analysis of results|
Note: The duration of the part-time studies is 6 years.
A student who chooses BA+ competence, acquires the knowledge and skills in an additional study field, and discovers new career prospects.
BA+ competence blocks offered in KTU Bachelor’s study programmes can be an alternative study plan for:
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the diploma supplement.
Currently the market provides various materials, distinguished by certain physical, chemical, electric or optical characteristics. Creation of a product raises many challenges, related to the appropriate choice of materials for achievement of the desired result and insurance of competitiveness of the final product. Those challenges can be met most effectively by the graduates of the studies of Materials Science, who contribute to the increase of company's efficiency and product's added value.
University provides wide possibilities for scientific self-expression, which motivates a consistent pursuit of a career. The world constantly presents new challenges, which can be met only by creation of innovative materials, distinguished by new characteristics. Today I can say that it was a right choice and the knowledge, acquired during studies, is very useful at work, which requires constant learning.
– Is competence to apply, knows and understand the main physical and chemical phenomena, their concepts, fundamentals of engineering, electrotechnics and electronics, as well as theoretical mechanics, numerical methods, mathematical concepts and principles, understands problems of application of mathematical methods.
– Has learned the main modern methods of physical and chemical analysis applied in materials science and nanotechnologies.
Is competent to apply modern micro and nano technologies and instruments, functional (optical, electrical, magnetic) materials used, micro and nano structures, and their development, production, application and quality assessment / or biomaterials, their technologies, human’s physiological systems, biomedical and ultrasonic systems, devices and their development, production, application and quality assessment (respectively, according to the chosen speciality).
– Is competent to apply technologies of modern engineering materials and their physical principles, micro and nano technologies, for search and development of new materials and structures following the established requirements, has work experience with technological and material analysis equipment.
– Is competent to critically assess information, results of his/her activities, professional innovations, participate in discussion and improve his/her activities, present and transfer knowledge and understanding of studies and chosen activities to specialists and non-specialists.
– Able to combine theoretical and applied knowledge while solving technological problems, forecast, select or develop materials with optimal properties for various engineering purposes, select and adapt appropriate technological methods for modelling, analysis in solving of engineering problems.
– Able to apply analytical, mathematical and other methods for modelling and forecast of material properties.
– Able to learn material analysis methods, select required technological and material analysis equipment, work with modern technological and material analysis equipment, analyse and interpret analysis results, apply standard research methods.
– Able to use information technologies and basic software, apply and use numerical computer methods for solving of specific problems of materials science and nano technologies.
– Able to work in interdisciplinary team, generate new ideas, can acquire deeper understanding of provided arguments, able to organise professional activities, plan time and resources, knows project management and business aspects.
|– Preparation of technical specifications for production, forecast of materials, equipment, capacities, layouts of factory and systems;|
|– Management of maintenance of the factory’s buildings and equipment, and projects, consultations on new production methods, ways and equipment;|
|– Preparation of standards and policies for installation, changing, quality control, testing, inspections and maintenance according to the engineering principles and safety rules.|
|– Application of engineering knowledge in design, improvement and assessment of biological and health care systems;|
|– Design of the elements of optical equipment that use light;|
|– Analysis of production processes, identification of possible risks, and introduction of safety procedures and measures.|
|– Participation in interdisciplinary scientific research and development projects;|
|– Establishment of production methods, materials, quality and control standards and assurance of compliance with technical specifications;|
|– Performance of laboratory research and tests at various stages of products’ production.|
|– Preparation, implementation of standards and protocols for the use of physical phenomenon measurement nuclear technologies in industry and medicine and supervision of their compliance;|
|– Performance of scientific research and experimental works;|
|– Development, preparation and improvement of concepts, measures, software and methods of physics and astronomy.|
|– Quality and quantity control of laboratory equipment and materials, preparation of detailed estimations of the amount of materials, costs and labour costs for projects;|
|– Installation, control and maintenance of laboratory devices and equipment, monitoring of experiments, calculation and registration of data;|
|– Performance of tests, provision of technical assistance to chemists and physicists who perform scientific research works.|
|– Writing of software code, review, management or development of available software;|
|– Compilation and preparation of software development documents;|
|– Testing of programmes and software.|
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥5.5, TOEFL ≥75, CEFR ≥B1, or equivalent
|High school certificate|
Maximum 3 years after high school graduation is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Minimum average grade (CGPA) > 60 % in each entry subject.
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||2595 €|
|Part-time studies||1730 €|
|Price per credit||43,25 €|