The modern fashion world is constantly changing and innovating, creating new opportunities for future specialists. Creativity, the latest knowledge of the clothing science, and innovations, as well as entrepreneurial skills are necessary for professionals in order to develop new products by making future production processes more effective and initialising the progress of the fashion business. Students are prepared for active scientific activities in the field of fashion engineering and technological sciences, as well as successful implementation of ideas in the competitive international fashion market.Entry requirements
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design
|Field||Polymer and Textile Technology|
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 2 y.|
|Degree awarded||Master of Technological Sciences|
Knowledge of clothing and footwear science, innovations and the latest technologies provides competitive advantages to the specialist in the labour market and added value to the newly developed garment.
The graduates develop their design and visualisation skills, using the latest CAD software packages. The mastered practical skills, used for work with virtual 3D technologies during the design and visualisation of a product, guarantees professional success in the modern enterprises and autonomy during the own business establishment.
During the lectures and projects, students are encouraged to develop as creators by implementing and presenting their innovation-based ideas during the Lithuanian and foreign fashion events.
Study programme is headed by highly competent specialists and lecturers-practitioners. Knowledge of clothing science is shared by the researchers whose professional activity is closely related to the subject-matter. Lecturers, having active practical experience, help to improve knowledge and practical skills in the fields of design, industrial collections, and fashion business.
Study process is adapted for active and aspiring people. Studies are organised so that classroom activity could be combined with creative or professional activity.
|Basics of technical creation and scientific research||Management of the specialised software packages||Development of fashion collections||Development of niche products|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
Knowledge of engineering development, manufacturing technologies, and understanding of design is a perfect combination in the modern production, based on innovations. Such specialists successfully work in Lithuanian and international companies. A great example of success story is the graduate’s start in our company, working as a Technologist of Construction and Production in Lithuania, her internship in the group’s subsidiaries in Europe and Product Manager’s position won during the selection at the Swedish branch of the same international company.
The postgraduate of Fashion Engineering study programme Olesia Les is pleased to note that during the studies she learned how to inspire people. “You just need to formulate the main creative idea, focus on it and later you will subconsciously find other ideas, helping you to move forward purposefully. After the completion of studies and during the development of my business, I often get back to the things I have already learned. I try not to keep away from the university. This year, I began participating in the mentorship programme of KTU, where I try to help students by sharing my personal experience.
– Solves the issues of applied science and research in clothing fashion engineering, creates and develops original products and technologies;
– Applies advanced achievements of fashion industry, creation and production of special purpose and ecological products, trade mark management, and protection of innovations;
– Knows ethical, environmental and commercial requirements for technological and engineering activities, is able to make technological decisions and critically assess complex tasks;
– Applies knowledge and understanding for solving of atypical problems of clothing fashion engineering and other related fields of science.
– Able to create product and innovative fashion collections of industrial design, special purpose and ecological products, design modern technologies;
– Able to apply software for visualisation of clothing and simulation of its comfort and technical solutions;
– Able to apply methods and perform analytical, modelling and experimental research of clothing products, their materials and technologies.
– Development of design concepts for clothing and textiles according to the product’s characteristics and purpose;
– Combining of aesthetic aspects and technical, functional, ecological and production requirements;
– Discussion of design concepts, selection of functional and aesthetic materials, production methods and decoration, precise definition and recommendations for production.
– Monitoring and analysis of market and market needs;
– Development of fashion product, monitoring of cooperation activities;
– Organisation of negotiations regarding purchased / sold goods, prices of services, organisation and development of orders;
– Daily communication with buyers and/or customers, coordination of orders and solving of problems.
– Planning, coordination and management of the company’s or organisation’s production and development activities, creation of new technological processes, products, ways to use knowledge or materials or improvement of the existing ones;
– Development and research of innovative product prototypes, selection of technical solutions and technological processes for production;
– Leading and management of activities of the employees responsible for innovations and development, company’s or organisation’s representation at the events, seminars and conferences.
– Generation of business ideas, planning of activities, their management and coordination;
– Establishment of business objectives and strategy, management of budget, control of expenses;
– Planning and management of material, human and financial resources.
– Delivery and preparation of lectures;
– Preparation of consultations for one or several taught subjects according to the prepared study programme at the university or another institution of higher education;
– Performance of scientific research work, preparation of methodological scientific papers and writing of books.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||3737 €|
|Price per credit||62,28 €|
|Prices are being reviewed for the upcoming intake and are due to confirmation until 1st of April 2019|