This programme is designed for preparation of wide profile food science specialists both for food industry and the companies performing research of food products and development of new products enriched by advanced natural antioxidants, antimicrobial substances, rheological characteristics and texture of various components. The first and most modern in Lithuania Food Science and Technology Competence Centre facilitates students’ research and applied competences using four unique semi-industrial lines of food technologies (bread, beer, meat, fish, dairy products).
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track emphasising managerial skills or a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.Apply
Faculty of Chemical Technology
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 2 y.|
|Degree awarded||Master of Technological Sciences|
KTU research in food science has been recognised internationally driven by the leading professors G. Juodeikienė, R. Ventskutonis and D. Leskauskaitė.
The first and most modern Food Science and Technology Competence Centre in Lithuania is active at KTU since 2010; four unique semi-industrial lines of food technologies (bread, beer, meat, fish, dairy products) are installed at the centre.
Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the specialisation or to strengthen managerial/interdisciplinary skills by choosing individual set of competencies required for career.
|Management of Food Safety and Quality||Development of New Food Products and Technologies||Knowledge about Composition of Food Products||Ability to Plan Work, Make Conclusions and Summarize the Achieved Results|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
|Management||Communication and Teamwork|
|Language Studies (English)||Language Studies (French)|
|Language Studies (German)||Language Studies (Italian)|
|Language Studies (Lithuania)||Language Studies (Russian)|
|Language Studies (Spanish)||Language Studies (Swedish)|
|Project Management||Business Process and Supply Chain Management|
|Leadership for Sustainable Development||Nanotechnology Engineering|
Our company sells its production in Lithuania and exports it to more than 35 countries. According to the requirements of the introduced food safety standard (BRC), we have to supply food products in compliance with the requirements for food safety at the market that they are placed on and other requirements. It requires combination of technologies and knowledge of food safety, taking into consideration all possible risk factors and legal requirements of the market. Food Science and Safety study programme is very useful both for the specialists and for their employers.
Unequivocally, Food Science and Safety study programme was the right choice for me. This study programme provided exclusive chemical knowledge of the components of food products, their characteristics and changes during processing. All material acquired during the lectures and collected library is applied in daily production context. It should be mentioned, that this study programme involves lectures of food safety and quality systems, which we successfully ("by the book") introduced in our new production.
Knowledge, acquired during Master degree studies, learned correct work principles and consolidated ability to make conclusions and summarize the achieved results contributed to rapid and successful employment at the successful company of food industry.
– Development of new food products and technologies: healthy food, food additives and supplements, impact of food products on health, biotechnologies, organisation of production of food and catering products, innovative technological processes, their management, optimisation and improvement
– Food safety and quality: control systems and legislation, chemical and microbiological hazard, analysis, control and traceability of risk factors, establishment and assurance of quality standards
– Scientific research: analytical, modelling and experimental research while solving modern problems of food science and safety, analysis and interpretation of results, development and research of innovative food products corresponding to the needs of consumers and latest nutrition science recommendations
– Able to plan, organise and perform scientific and applied research in the areas of food science and safety, apply modern methods and equipment of instrumental analysis , analyse, critically assess and summarise research results, provide conclusions on quality and safety of food products, biological, chemical and other hazards in food and procedures for their elimination
– Able to develop, install and manage innovative food processing technologies, solve tasks of development, research and control of new products based on the latest achievements in food science and safety
– Able to install food safety and quality control systems, execute control of quality and safety of raw materials and products, and production, provide consultations, coordinate new projects for improvement of quality and safety of food products, create and develop original ideas and methods while solving the issues of impact of food products on human health
– Able to work effectively as a member or leader of inter-field and interdisciplinary teams, present work results orally and in writing, make innovative technological, engineering and economic solutions considering their impact on the public and environment
– Organisation and control of technological production processes;
– Preparation of technological documents, understanding of processing standards, technical specifications in accordance with professional integrity and standards of ethics;
– Quality assurance and control of the manufactured products;
– Performance of chemical research works, development or improvement of concepts, measures, theories and methods;
– Performance of experimental works, tests and analysis;
– Participation in the interdisciplinary scientific research and development projects in cooperation with specialists of various areas;
– Implementation of preventive programmes and strategies related to food safety, quality of water, polluted and dangerous substances;
– Planning of nutrition and menus, supervision of preparation and serving of food, monitoring of the amount and quality of the food eaten;
– Performance of research works of nutrition, dissemination of their results in scientific conferences and other events.
– Control of raw materials, materials used in production, technological process and quality of finished products;
– Establishment of control standards and procedures for insurance of safety of employees and chemical production operations;
– Processing of laboratory documents in accordance with the regulations on document preparation and storage.
– Knowledge of quality standards and processes, assurance of labelling and other requirements;
– Assessment of quality indicators in the specific company’s performance, preparation of recommendations;
– Control of compliance with sanitation-hygiene standards.
– Development and improvement of quality indicators in the specific company’s performance;
– Management of quality improvement activities and processes;
– Introduction and maintenance of quality assurance standards and processes.
– Organisation of division’s work applying standards of quality policy, quality management and food safety management;
– Management of documents related to processes and quality of products;
– Representation of the company in external audits, organisation of an internal audit.
– Creation of new products, their development and introduction in production;
– Coordination of the process of product creation with production and commercial divisions;
– Search for innovations and their testing.
– Creation of new products, their development and installation in production, search for innovations and their testing;
– Cooperation with production, commercial and marketing divisions;
– Cooperation with research institutions and R&D centres.
– Organisation, coordination and optimisation of production process;
– Execution of production plans, distribution and efficient use of resources, provision and analysis of results, preparation of production line and equipment plans, work schedules for employees;
– Quality control, improvement and management of quality systems, preparation, processing and maintenance of documentation.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
|Full-time studies||4300 €|
|Price per credit||71,67 €|
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||3737 €|
|Price per credit||62,28 €|
|Prices are being reviewed for the upcoming intake and are due to confirmation until 1st of April 2019|