MSc in Materials Science programme develops research skills, deep theoretical and experimental knowledge of material composition and improvement of their characteristics, knowledge of methodology and technique for technological measurements of materials, processing and analysis of experimental results, knowledge of application of high technologies (micro- and nanotechnologies) in materials science. The programme combines fundamental and engineering studies, and enables the graduates to create and apply functional materials and technologies of their production. Study programme offers competence paths of 30 ECTS from a study or interdisciplinary field: Physical material technologies competence path, Material analysis methods and technologies competence path, Biomaterial technologies competence path, Mechanical processes in materials and systems competence path, Material industry engineering and manufacturing competence path, Advanced technologies competence path, Materials quality and control competence path, Information technologies in material science competence path.
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 2 y.|
|Degree awarded||Master of Technological Sciences|
KTU research in materials science is recognised internationally, and the research outcomes are applied in industry, e.g. to create scales for precision laser measurement systems.
KTU cooperates with leading international organisations: Inter-Academia, Federation of European Materials Society, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials, etc.
Instead of the competence paths, student can choose 18 ECTS Master+ track. Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the specialisation or to strengthen managerial/interdisciplinary skills by choosing individual set of competencies required for career.
|Material properties and characterisations||Processes in materials||Application of materials and technologies||Science and research project skills|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
|Management||Language Studies (English)|
|Language Studies (French)||Language Studies (German)|
|Language Studies (Italian)||Language Studies (Lithuania)|
|Language Studies (Russian)||Language Studies (Spanish)|
|Language Studies (Swedish)||Project Management|
|Business Process and Supply Chain Management||Leadership for Sustainable Development|
|Nanotechnology Engineering||Control Technologies|
University provides wide possibilities for scientific self-expression, which motivates a consistent pursuit of a career. The world constantly presents new challenges, which can be met only by creation of innovative materials, distinguished by new characteristics. Today I can say that it was a right choice and the knowledge, acquired during studies, is very useful at work, which requires constant learning.
Multidisciplinary approach is very important while using the advantages of developed new materials in high technologies. The key to success is the overlapping engineering knowledge of various areas, which is acquired in this study programme. Master's studies of Materials Science provides a possibility to the already employed student to choose optional study subjects according to the needs of contemporary industry, and prospective plans and trends. Such freedom of studies enables the student to provide a maximum added value to the company during his/her studies, which is relevant to development of new business areas and expansion of the existing ones.
Graduates of KTU Master's degree Materials Science study programme can successfully work as engineers and researchers at Lithuanian Energy Institute (LEI) at the laboratories performing experimental works, in the areas of installation processes, nuclear energy, research and testing of thermal equipment, research of materials, plasma technologies. Graduates are distinguished by great theoretical knowledge and experimental skills in the areas of physics, chemistry and materials engineering. Also, they are able to implement independent complex experimental research programmes for nanocrystal material synthesis and analysis. Graduates easily get involved in the international projects Horizon 2020, COST, Eureka programmes performed at the institute, becoming valuable researchers. Graduates can continue their studies in joint Doctoral studies of LEI and KTU in the scientific field of energy and thermo engineering.
– Has deep various theoretical knowledge of material composition and improvement of their properties, knowledge of methodology and technique for technological measurements of materials, knowledge of processing and analysis of experimental results, thorough methodological knowledge on composing, creation and research of mew materials.
– Is competent to define, assess and forecast the trends and prospects of development of materials science and impact of technologies on the environment, apply high technologies (micro and nano technologies).
– Is competent to apply modern methods and instruments of surface engineering, micro and nano technologies, functional (optical, electrical, magnetic) materials used, form micro and nano structure, and use or develop devices.
– Has skills of management, negotiations and leadership, takes responsibility for the quality of his/her activities and that of his/her subordinate employees, quality assessment and performance improvement based on professional ethics, technological engineering operating standards and citizenship.
– Has very good knowledge of project management and business aspects, understands links between technological solutions and their economic effects.
– Able to make technological solutions and solve atypical, undefined and incomplete problems, is able to define, analyse and solve problems of development of materials science, scientific research, technological processes and environmental protection.
– Able to assess, model and forecast material structure, composition and properties applying analytical and numerical methods, including mathematical analysis, computational modelling or experiments for assessment, modelling and forecast of structure, composition and properties of functional materials, to select or develop functional materials with optimal properties for various engineering properties.
– Able to select of develop materials with optimal properties, able to apply innovative methods to solve various engineering problems.
– Able to apply acquired knowledge and latest achievements of materials science to select and develop various materials with optimal or required properties, to solve engineering problems using modern technological equipment and formation principles.
– Able to plan, perform analytical, modelling or applied research and introduce their results in the processes of material processing, to analyse applicability of new or newly occurring high technologies, methods of instrumental analysis in solving of various engineering problems.
– Design and installation of new advanced technologies and integrated engineering systems;
– Analysis of production processes, their optimisation and assessment, product management and engineering;
– Researcher at the laboratories using modern equipment for material analysis and research, at the customs, at the publishing and forensic laboratories, pharmaceutical and medical companies, research institutes and universities.
– Organisation and management of production;
– Production management in the companies, organisations and research institutions of organic and inorganic material technologies;
– Quality control.
– Technology expert at the centres of research and consultation-scientific assistance, radiation protection and state security services, agencies of environmental science and environmental protection, environmental protection laboratories;
– Representative, partner of patent office;
– Consultant-expert of grants and project management, market research, start-ups and innovation development.
– Organizing and managing the process of production;
– Managing the production in companies, organizations or scientific institutions of organic and inorganic materials technologies;
– Quality control.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
Head of Study Programme
e. p. firstname.lastname@example.org
tel. +370 37 300 339
|Full-time studies||4300 €|
|Price per credit||71,67 €|
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||3737 €|
|Price per credit||62,28 €|