Textile Engineering and Finishing studies are the only studies in Lithuania, based on the effective interaction of studies, science, and business. The postgraduates know the problems of classic and innovative textile engineering and textile finishing, understand the principles, related to the quality management of textile products, are able to implement scientific and technological innovations of textile, perform scientific and experimental research of development, analyse the obtained results, associate them with the changing professional environment creatively, and make independent decisions.Entry requirements
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design
|Field||Polymer and Textile Technology|
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 2 y.|
|Degree awarded||Master of Technological Sciences|
Nowadays, a textile engineer has to know methodologies, related to the design and research of innovative and functional textile, the most advanced technologies and basics of textile design and its finishing, trends of sustainable development of textile engineering and innovations of textile in the industry, as well as methods used for the assessment and management of textile products.
Working in a company, the postgraduate of Textile Engineering and Finishing is able to integrate knowledge of other sciences by creating and investigating new and innovative textile materials or products, investigate technological processes and properties of textile products in the competent manner, think strategically, as well as analyse results of research and make decisions independently.
The postgraduates of Textile Engineering and Finishing studies work at such companies as “Garlita”, “Omniteksas”, “Liningas”, “Dirbtinis pluoštas”, “Klasikinė tekstilė”, “Devold”, “Skinija”, “Sparta”, “Audėjas”, “Audimas”, “Tūta”, “Neaustima”, “Linas”, “Baltijos tekstilė”, “Camira Fabric”, “A Grupė”, “Danspin”, “Telteksa”, “Utenos trikotažas”, “Vernitas”, “IKEA”, Centre for Physical Sciences and Technology (FTMC), “ScanDye”.
Textile product manager. Engineer-technologist. Quality manager. Expert. Researcher. Production manager. Director General of the company. Company’s owner.
|Knowledge and experience of theoretical design of textile materials||Development and research of textile materials||Knowledge of innovations and modern technologies in the field of textile engineering||Knowledge of the modern technologies of textile finishing|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
The textile industry operating in the environment of ongoing changes needs and will need open-minded specialists of the modern textile engineering, who are/will be able to meet the needs of society by creating modern clothes and environment. I’m sure of it!
Looking from a current perspective, I would not change my decision and if I had to choose again, I would still choose Textile Engineering studies. Textile is very dynamic and developing area of industry and science. Nowadays, companies offering new and innovative products for the market which cannot be offered by anyone else are highly valued. It’s interesting to work in the constantly changing environment together with constantly developing processes and products
– Knows basics of the most advanced textile technologies and technologies for finishing of textiles;
– Knows design of textiles and textile products, designs textile products, creates composite materials, optimises their properties and production processes for quality assurance;
– Structures and analyses information about industrial and market development trends, individually generates ideas, researches technological processes, properties and quality of textile products;
– Applies science innovations and engineering principles in creation of new textiles with optimal properties and their systems, adapts standard research methods for atypical textile research.
– Able to apply acquired technological knowledge about the principles, methods of design of textiles and textile products, in formulation and implementation of design task while creating new textile products;
– Able to apply new methods to solve problems and implement solutions of textile engineering; understands the significance of application of sustainable development and clean production;
– Able to apply integrated science innovations and engineering principles in creation of new textiles with optimal properties and their systems, adapt standard research methods for atypical textile research.
– Planning, coordination and management of scientific research and development at the company or outsourced by other research organisations while developing new technological processes, products, knowledge or uses of materials, or improving the available ones;
– Research of technological processes of textiles production, creation and research of prototypes of textiles and textile products;
– Creation of functional and smart textiles and textile products, physical and chemical research, creation of new research methods for the assessment of functional properties of innovative textiles.
– Supervision of acquisition and installation of new equipment and machinery, coordination of implementation of safety requirements, planning and management of usual activities;
– Detailed planning of the activities related to production scope, provided services, quality, amount, price, compliance with deadlines and needs of labour force;
– Management of equipment’s operation and technological processes; quality assurance in the produced goods and provided services.
– Establishment of project objectives and tasks, planning and implementation of project;
– Generation of ideas and their selection for preparation of the project’s concept;
– Situation analysis, preparation of the plan of objectives, tasks, planned activities, budget, risks; preparation of communication plan, operational plan and documentation of implemented activities.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||3284 €|
|Price per credit||54,73 €|
|Prices are being reviewed for the upcoming intake and are due to confirmation until 1st of April 2019|