The programme is designed for specialists with higher education in computer science and other fields. The program provides opportunities for IT specialists to expand, and for specialists in other fields to deepen their knowledge of the application of IT in virtual and distance learning and to acquire the necessary skills and abilities.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to solve relevant learning-related problems by developing and applying in their professional activity solutions related to IT, their tools, and systems, conducting scientific research, related to the organisation of high-quality virtual, distance learning courses or studies.
Studies integrate knowledge of informatics, pedagogy, virtual and distance learning.
Elements – operating systems, virtual learning environments, video conferences
Virtual learning – virtual classes, virtual universities, joined study programmes, progressive learning methodologies
Distance learning – support systems, education process
Pedagogy – e-learning content, standards, methodologies
Basics of informatics engineering
Basics of virtual learning
Organisation of distance learning
Modern communication technologies and learning content
The studies are delivered in distance online via video conferences
The form of studies is convenient to persons who have jobs and live in other cities and also allows choosing the place and time of learning. The use of video conferences ensures quality-based studies.
Junction between informatics and pedagogy
The studies provide the skills of informatics engineering and pedagogy, whereas the Master’s qualification degree in information technologies allows continuing the professional career of informatics specialists and organising quality-based studies by using IT.
The wages of informatics specialists are one of the highest on the labour market
Pursuant to the statistical data of 2017, the wages of employees of the IT sector are one of the highest in Lithuania and in the world.
The world class base of studies is used in the study process
The newest world-class hardware and software is used during the studies: video conference systems, virtual learning environment, video filming and editing, animation creation tools, etc.
The study programme is delivered by lecturers with the highest qualification in Lithuania that are known in the world as well
KTU is a leader of the organisation of virtual and distance studies in Lithuania the achievements of which are known world-wide. This study programme is delivered by the scientists who developed the Lithuanian distance learning network, conducted several international programmes and are known in the world due to their works.
Knowledge and skills acquired during studies will allow:
– Freely program in modern programming languages in various programming environments while developing new software systems and performing maintenance of available ones;
– Analyse, compose and realise operational algorithms for software choosing appropriate data structures;
– Analyse the need for software systems and specify requirements for software;
– Design architecture of software and its individual components choosing appropriate design models;
– Perform adjustment of software, test software system assessing its quality;
– Plan and implement software systems development projects applying project management principles, measures and technologies, documentation;
– Implement software systems, efficiently working individually and in the team and effectively communicating with colleagues and customers.
– Maintenance of communication with network specialists for control and assurance of safety of the Internet and web server, distribution of space and user access;
– Analysis and design of websites;
– Design and development of digital animation, photographs, presentations, games, audio and video clips, Internet applications.
– Formulation and documenting of the systems’ principles with consideration to user’s needs;
– Identification and assessment of efficiency-related defects, preparation of recommendations
– Preparation, approval and implementation of system testing plans.
– Design of computer code, analysis and design of websites;
– Design and development of digital animation, photographs, games, audio and video clips, Internet applications;
– Maintenance of communication with network specialists for control and assurance of safety of the Internet and web server, distribution of space and user access.
– Research, analysis and assessment of requirements for software and operational systems;
– Research, development and improvement of computer software systems;
– Assessment, improvement, updates of software maintenance procedures for operational systems, communications environment and applications, preparation of respective documents, team management.
– Compilation and preparation of software development documents;
– Writing and maintenance of software code according to the approved quality standards;
– Testing, review or development of software aiming to improve performance efficiency or adapt them to new requirements.
– Maintenance and administration of computer network and similar computer environment;
– Provision of recommendations for improvement of system and network configurations, establishment of software requirements;
– Control of master control panels monitoring performance of computer systems and networks, and coordinating computer network access and use.
– Analysis, preparation, interpretation and assessment of complex technical specifications for the systems’ design and architecture, data models and diagrams in the process of development, configuration and integration of computer systems;
– Research, analysis, assessment and monitoring of network infrastructure for assurance of its optimal performance;
– Installation, configuration, maintenance and administration of networks, software, database applications, servers and computerised working places.
– Design and development of database structure, data structure, dictionaries and agreements on the titles of information system projects;
– Performance of scientific research and consulting on selection, application and use of database management measures;
– Establishment of policy and procedures for database access and use, and back-up and data recovery.
Lecturers. Experts in their field
Professor of Computer Science and Director of the InterLabs Research Institute, Bradley University
Associate Professor, Chair and Ambassador at ICDE Quality Network
Marcela Georgina Gomez Zermeno
Researcher at Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
Head of Online Learning (Student Experience) Centre for Online Learning Institute of Technology, Sligo
Director of the National Institute for Digital Learning (NIDL) at Dublin City University
Director at Public Institution “Baltic Education Technology Institute”
"The Master’s study programme in the field of Information Technologies of Distance Education taught me how to organise and deliver distance studies. I deepened my knowledge of information technologies which are necessary to the distance learning expert. During my studies I worked in the KTU E-learning Technologies Centre where I had the opportunity to advance my career successfully."
Head of Innovation Department at JSC "Educton"
"I represent the Educton team, creating innovative solutions for training, education and staff development in large multinational companies. Working in this field, there is a constant need to collaborate with various educational institutions as well as those responsible for the organization of training for the staff of the collective bodies. Nowadays many educational institutions use a wide range of information systems and various IT tools in their activities (study quality management systems, e-diaries, sessions planning, scheduling, accounting management, virtual learning environments, etc.). Not only is the deployment and use of specific IT tools of great importance, but also the ability to reconcile them with each other and to ensure data exchange, integration with public registers and proper use in the organization. The lack of specialists with these competencies both in Lithuania and abroad is obvious and we can only be glad that KTU study program “Information Technologies of Distance Education” helps to fill this gap by preparing the leaders of future education technologies."
KTU.EDU website uses three main types of cookies. If you continue browsing, you accept the necessary cookies. You can also agree to the use of other cookies. Read more
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.