An ageing population and rising health care costs caution us that the health care system must constantly improve. The recent COVID-19 pandemics makes this need even more evident. We have to find new effective ways to diagnose, prevent and treat diseases, and this requires innovative biomedical solutions and technologies.
Studying master’s in Biomedical Engineering at KTU, you will develop your research skills by improving existing or creating new methods and equipment for medical diagnostics, therapy and health monitoring. You will enhance your theoretical knowledge and gain the skills needed for the development and improvement of the equipment for medical diagnostics, therapy and health monitoring.
Upon completion of your studies, excellent career opportunities will open up – your knowledge and skills will be desired by the medical technology industry, medical equipment maintenance and high-tech companies, start-ups and science centres.
This study programme is taught together with Lithuanian University of Health Sciences to ensure comprehensive knowledge of biomedical sciences
You will be able to join the research groups of internationally acclaimed KTU Biomedical Engineering Institute and to contribute to the development of advanced electronic health care solutions
The programme is designed to incorporate medical and practical research work in laboratories
The majority of the curriculum is focused on the efficient application of technology in medicine
Engineering, Technology, Mathematics, Informatics, Physical, Life, Health or Sport Sciences study field degree; and ≥18 ECTS completed in the Electronics engineering, Electrics engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Informatics or Informatics engineering study field subjects.
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or previously completed studies in english language.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
Often you can get a suitable transcript of bachelor degree from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
First component of the competition score
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
Second component of the competition score
Third component of the competition score
Motivation letter and online interview
The tuition fee applied for the academic year 2023-2024 is indicated below.
Price per credit
Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens
Price per credit
Partial tuition fee waiver can be applied for the study price.
Analysis of Biomedical Issues, Interdisciplinary Knowledge
Practical Experience of Work with Medical Equipment
Development and Design of Medical Equipment
Knowledge and Experience of Scientific and Research Work
Internationally known in Biomedical Engineering research
KTU Biomedical Engineering Institute is internationally famous for creating and application of advanced decisions for health care using electronics, telecommunications and IT growing fields.
Focus on effective technology application in medicine
The programme content is designed to incorporate medical and practical research work in laboratories, and majority of modules are specifically focused on the process of effectively applying technology in medicine.
Interdisciplinary studies at two universities
The programme is taught together with Lithuanian University of Health Sciences to ensure comprehensive knowledge of biomedical sciences.
– Systematic knowledge in the area of biomedical engineering;
– Knowledge of biomedical electronic devices and systems;
– Abilities in designing of biomedical electronics;
– Knowledge of scientific research and entrepreneurship in biomedical engineering
– Able to systematically understand the context of biomedical engineering, the field’s regulatory requirements, terms of biomedical field, engineering methods used for solving of the problems;
– Able to use biomedical engineering systems and devices and perform their technical maintenance;
– Able to apply suitable methods, measures and equipment for designing of biomedical devices;
– Able to prepare a research project and application, scientific paper in the field of biomedical engineering, to study in Doctoral studies.
– Establishment of contractual terms and conditions and negotiations in this area, making of supply agreements or recommendations regarding making of purchase agreements for equipment, raw materials, services or good for resale;
– Analysis of market reports, periodical trade publications and sales promotion material, visiting of trade presentations, salons, factories and events for product design;
– Selection of good or products that are most suitable for the company’s needs;
Selection of visualisation or treatment equipment, monitoring of display screens, and adjustment of settings and control in accordance with technical specifications;
– Selection of visualisation or treatment equipment, monitoring of display screens, and adjustment of settings and control in accordance with technical specifications;
– Examination and assessment of developed x-ray photographs, videos or other computer information to verify if the received images are suitable for identification of diagnosis, and registration of the results of procedures;
– Supervision of the use of radiographic, ultrasonic and medical visualisation equipment aiming to obtain an image of the organism’s composition for diagnostic purposes.
Basant Kumar Bajpai
Esco Medical Ltd, Engineer
The study programme Biomedical Engineering provided by KTU in the Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was actually really good. During my studies I have learned about non-invasive blood pressure and stress measurement, artificial organ architecture, biomedical signal acquisition and processing as well as many other subject. Now in my work place I applying my engineering skills I got during my studies in KTU: from medical instrument validation till programmatic architecture design
UAB "Graina", Director
Successful work at our company requires interdisciplinary knowledge and skills: technical and technologies of medical devices, as well as human physiology and communication. The ability to study independently is very important. Medical devices change and evolve very rapidly, which requires a constant interest and improvement in professional area.
UAB "Graina", Engineer
Biomedical Engineering study programme provided theoretical knowledge and practical skills for a successful beginning of work at the advanced company providing and operating complex medical equipment for biochemical laboratories, ultrasonic and X-ray systems.
International Studies Office
Student Info Center
Studentų St. 50, LT-51368 Kaunas
KTU.EDU website uses three main types of cookies. If you continue browsing, you accept the necessary cookies. You can also agree to the use of other cookies. Read more
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.