The contemporary society’s constant need for more sophisticated products and sustainable processes means chemical engineers are in great demand. They bring about innovation and improvements in process industries, such as those concerned with the manufacture of chemicals, food, fuel and pharmaceuticals.
KTU’s Chemical Engineering master study programme is created at the junction of science and industry aimed at educating qualified technologists. Its curriculum was developed in cooperation with the largest chemistry companies in Lithuania.
During your studies, you will get knowledge and skills of the product design and processes, of technological systems management. You will gain an in-depth understanding of the processes and equipment of chemical technology. Product development, development of technologies and product quality control are the three key competencies that are particularly important for the professionals in this field. After graduating from MSc Chemical Engineering at KTU, you will be able to manage ongoing processes, and you will improve your products with the latest methods.
We aim at developing our students’ critical thinking and fostering their curiosity through both teamwork and independent study. The practical tasks, using advanced chemical engineering laboratories and analytical equipment, prepare our students for tackling larger problems that span traditional boundaries of engineering or chemistry.
Note: The indicated tuition fee is under revision by Ministry of Education of Lithuania and the Senate of University currently and will be confirmed shortly.Apply
Faculty of Chemical Technology
|Study mode and duration||Full-time studies - 2 y. (Day-time)|
|Degree awarded||Master of Engineering Sciences|
Ranked No. 1 in Lithuania among all the programmes in chemical engineering by the opinion of employers, students and international experts (Reitingai, 2016).
KTU research group led by prof. R. Šiaučiūnas and prof. K. Baltakys is internationally famous for research in materials science.
Students practice process management in one of the most modern and largest Chemical Engineering laboratories in the EU.
|Engineering Sciences||Technologies||Research Sciences||Economic and Social|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
During studies I started cooperation with industrial companies with the help of my lecturers. Even before graduation I already had many job offers. During studies I acquired a very wide range of technical knowledge, which I can use for development of new products, as well as introduction of new technologies in production. The company is constantly looking for the employees with higher education in chemical engineering.
A big part of the employees of AB "Achema", both amongst the managers and people working with complex equipment and technological processes, are graduates of KTU Faculty of Chemical Technology, who have required qualification and education. Company, which wants to remain competitive, needs specialists with a wide education in chemistry and engineering areas, who are able to analyse processes and apply modern technologies. Company's managers of functional departments are required to have systematic thinking, ability to formulate and solve the issues not only of their particular area, but of all branch of industry, to offer new solutions based on fundamentals of economics. "Achema" is actively involved in updating of study programmes and supports new research of chemical science, which enables renovation of present technologies. Company strongly encourages its employees to acquire higher education and continue studies in Chemical Engineering Master programme.
– Application of knowledge of industrial processes and identification of characterising indicators;
– Product and process quality assessment and modelling;
– Development and management of innovative products and processes, knowledge of governing documents.
– Establishment and assurance of production methods, materials, quality and control standards according to the technical specifications;
– Establishment of control standards and procedures ensuring the procedure of chemical production, its effectiveness and safety of employees;
– Testing of the process of laboratory tests of new production stages and its performance.
– Performance of chemical research works, development or improvement of concepts, measures, theories and methods;
– Performance of experimental works, tests and analysis;
– Participation in the interdisciplinary scientific research and development projects in cooperation with specialists of various areas.
– Preparation of technical specifications for production and planning of systems layout;
– Management of maintenance of production buildings and equipment, and new projects according to the engineering principles and safety regulations;
– Consultations on new production methods, techniques and equipment.
– Installation, calibration, control and maintenance of laboratory devices and equipment;
– Collection, storage, classification and cataloguing of specimen and samples, and their preparation for experiments;
– Monitoring of tests, analysis of their results, performance of calculations, registration and preparation of reports applying appropriate scientific methods.
– Identification of deposits of materials for mining and planning of mining;
– Identification of the most suitable methods of efficient mining and types of used equipment;
– Planning of the primary water, oil or gas storage, processing and supply and process management.
|University bachelor degree certificate|
Engineering, Physics, Technology, Life, Health, Veterinary or Agricultural study field degree; ≥18 ECTS completed in the Chemistry and Chemical engineering study field subjects.
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or previously completed studies in english language.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
Often you can get a suitable transcript of bachelor degree from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
|Full-time studies||4300 €|
|Price per credit||71,67 €|
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||4234 €|
|Price per credit||70,57 €|