The programme prepares specialists who are able to develop, produce, and analyse chemical compounds, materials, and fuel by applying innovative biotechnology methods. The specialists acquire competencies in the fields of modelling, optimisation, and management of bio-processes. The acceptance of employers is earned by the graduates due to their acquired technological knowledge, understanding of modern research equipment, and ability to work with it in an effective manner.Entry requirements
The industrial companies need biotechnology specialists who have deep knowledge of the technological processes. The basics of the study programme consist of knowledge of development, production, tests, and analysis of materials, as well as modelling, optimisation and management of bio-processes. This fundamental and practical knowledge is important for the effective work of a biotechnologist when developing and producing chemical substances, bioproducts, and biofuel of high added-value.
The study programme of industrial biotechnology covers various fields of biotechnology oriented to the production activities, i.e. production of new reagents, food additives and fuel, development of environmental biotechnologies. The specialist is able to evaluate biotechnology activities and engineering solutions in view of the ethical, social, economic, and professional aspects.
The biotechnology industry is currently the most rapidly growing industrial sector in the world. In Lithuania, this field also receives a great deal of attention and becomes one of the most important fields of development of high technologies able to ensure the economic growth and make influence on the development of competitive national economy. High-level industrial biotechnology specialists are highly demanded in the labour market and related research and production sectors.
Having general basics and knowledge in the field of biotechnology and practical skills, masters will be able to conduct research and work in various research and production companies acting in the fields of biotechnology, biochemistry, chemistry, and other related technologies. Interests of employers are ranging from a qualified narrow-profile biotechnologist in a large industrial company to a wide-profile biotechnologist in medium and small-scale business structure. Career possibilities from senior laboratory assistant to production (company) director.
The study programme contains fully completed and continuously enhanced technical base of studies and researches and is provided with the most modern research equipment.
|Understanding of the engineering solutions and technological processes||Understanding and management of modern research and instrumental analysis||Ability to solve interdisciplinary problems by evaluating the importance of social, health and safety, bioethics, environmental, and commercial requirements||Knowledge of various biotechnology fields, ability to apply various methods, including the mathematical analysis, modelling, and experiments|
Master+ is a unique model within a chosen MSc programme
The Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills in addition to the main discipline by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track providing a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Students of these study programmes can choose between the path of Field Expert and Interdisciplinary Expert. Selection is made in the academic information system. Each path (competence) consists of three subjects (18 credits) allocated as follows: 1 year 1 semester (autumn) – first subject (6 credits), 1 year 2 semester (spring) – second subject (6 credits), 2 year 3 semester – third subject (6 credits). A student, who chooses a path of the Field Expert, deepens knowledge and strengthens skills in the main field of studies. The one, who chooses a path of the Interdisciplinary Expert, acquires knowledge and skills in a different area or field of studies. Competence provides a choice of alternative additional subjects.
Acquisition of the competence is certified by the issue of KTU certificate and entry in the appendix to the Master’s diploma. In addition, students can acquire an international certificate (details are provided next to each competence).
Competences are implemented by KTU lecturers – experts in their area – and high level business and public sector organizations; their employees deliver lectures, submit topics for the student’s theses, placement-oriented tasks for the projects, etc.
In 2012, EU started the long-term Bio-economy Development Programme aimed at gradual reorientation of the economy from the use of fossil fuel to the renewable raw-materials; therefore, the long-term demand for qualified specialists in this field is also positive. The programme of industrial biotechnology is provided with modern research infrastructure. The graduates will have specific biotechnology knowledge, cognitive, and practical skills, will be able to design, develop and install new technologies and, manage biotechnology engineering systems.
– Application of knowledge in formulation and solving of engineering and biotechnical problems;
– Selection of biotechnological equipment, analytical and modelling techniques understanding of biosynthesis stages of bio products;
– Knowledge and characterisation of biological system in production of bio products.
– Able to perform analytical analysis of various technological processes, plan and conduct experimental research, analyse and assess experiment’s results;
– Able to select suitable technological parameters, apply computer modelling in biotechnological processes;
– Able to work with biotechnological equipment and devices used in production of bio products;
– Able to apply assessment instruments for financial efficiency of technological development projects;
– Able to summarise achievement and innovations of industrial biotechnology.
– Application of engineering knowledge in design, improvement and assessment of biological and health care systems and products;
– Design of medical procedures, imaging systems, devices.
– Preparation of scientific papers and reports;
– Research of living organisms using specialised equipment, measures, technologies and methods;
– Providing consultations to state institutions, organisations and businesses.
– Establishment of production methods, materials and quality standards ensuring their compliance with technical specifications;
– Establishment of control standards and procedures for insurance of safety of employees and chemical production operations;
– Performance of laboratory research and tests at new stages of products’ production.
– Installation, calibration, control and maintenance of laboratory devices and equipment;
– Collection, storage, classification and cataloguing of specimen and samples, chemical solutions and microscope slides, as well as living organisms, and their preparation for experiments;
– Monitoring of tests, analysis of their results, performance of calculations, registration and preparation of reports applying appropriate scientific methods.
– Preparation of technical specifications for production and planning of systems layout;
– Management of maintenance of production buildings and equipment, and new projects according to the engineering principles and safety regulations;
– Consultations on new production methods, techniques and equipment.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
|First component of the competition score|
Average grade (CGPA) of University‘s Bachelor’s degree (min. length – 180 ECTS) and its supplement
|Second component of the competition score|
|Third component of the competition score|
Motivation letter and online interview
|Foreign nationals with Lithuanian origins and EU citizens|
|Full-time studies||3737 €|
|Price per credit||62,28 €|