Migration requirements for new degree students
Citizens of EU/EEA countries
If you are an EU citizen and have come to live in the Republic of Lithuania for more than 3 months in half a year, you may be issued a certificate confirming your right of temporary residence in the Republic of Lithuania.
Please submit the application on MIGRIS system.
You have to submit these documents:
- valid travel document;
- student status certificate:
- a document certifying that You have sufficient resources for living in the Republic of Lithuania;
- a document certifying the valid health insurance (the insurance must be valid in the territory of Lithuania, e.g., the European Health Insurance Card).
You must apply to the chosen branch of the Migration Department for the submission of original documents and biometric data and for signing the application you submitted.
You will have to pay a state levy for issuing a certificate – EUR 8.60 (payment code 5740).
Citizens of other countries
Students from non-EU countries are required to obtain a national visa.
Documents required for National Visa:
- Print-out from the Lithuanian bank, showing sufficient amount of money (365 EUR per month/4380 EUR per year);
- Mediation letter from KTU;
- Application form. It has to be printed and submitted together with the documents for a visa. You can fill in the application on the website: https://visa.vrm.lt/epm.
- Passport and visa/TRP (plus photocopy);
- One colored photo;
- Health insurance.
For more detailed information about documents for a visa procedure you can visit migration department page.
For the issue of a national visa, you must apply to the Lithuanian Visa Service in a foreign country or to an external service provider’s visa application center .
If you intend to study in Lithuania for more than one year, after the arrival in Lithuania you have to apply for Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). This document is valid for two years but no longer than expected graduation date.
General order (paying 120 EUR for the application)
- No later than 3 months before visa expires – if you are applying for the first time;
- No earlier than 4 months and no later than 2 months before TRP expiration day – if you need to renew your TRP.
Urgent order (paying 240 EUR for the application)
- No later than 1,5 months before visa expires – if you are applying for the first time
- No earlier than 4 months and no later than 1 month before TRP expiration day – if you need to renew your TRP.
In order to get the TRP you have to follow these steps.
1 Step. Apply for the Mediation letter. You can order it via AIS (certificates ordering section, ‘Mediation letter for issuing of temporary residence permit’). It is usually issued within 3-5 working days. You will need the reference number of this document, in order to finish your TRP application.
2 Step. Submit an application electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS).
You will also be required to submit these documents:
- Valid travel document.
- Printout from the bank, showing sufficient amount of money (no less than 365 EUR per month/4380 EUR per year). This has to be presented in English if you hold an international bank account or in Lithuanian if you opened the bank account in Lithuania.* The statement is valid for 1 month.
- Declaration of residence place in Lithuania. If you live in a KTU dormitory, please contact the dormitory group via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please find more information about the declaration of the place of residence HERE.
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC/Non-criminal Record). Documents must be legalized or certified with an Apostille, written in English or translated officially. If you are renewing your TRP you do not need to submit this.
- Proof of Health Insurance.
3 Step. Through the application system you will also book the visit time to the Migration Office. You have to make the appointment in person within 4 months from the date of submission of the application to the MIGRIS and submit the biometric data, the original travel document and original or duly certified copies of the other documents listed above.
4 Step. You will have to pay the application fee (you can pay in Migration Office).
5 Step. Once the decision to issue TRP is given by the Migration Department of Lithuania, it is sent to your indicated e-mail address and you have to take your TRP card on the last day when your visa/TRP expires.
*It is fine to show the statement from your parents’ bank account. In this case you also need to present the notarized affidavit as a proof that your parents agree to support you financially.
Please DO NOT leave the preparation of necessary documents for the last minute.
For more detailed information you can check the FAQs.